Puerto Rican Chicken Stew - Pollo Guisado
This comforting and filling chicken stew comes from Puerto Rico, and it's amazing. Chicken, veggies, mushrooms, all combined to create a Caribbean feast in your kitchen!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 2 lb (900g) boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs , cut into pieces
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled and minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- salt , to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes , halved and quartered
- 1 small onion , thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Sofrito
- 8 oz (240g) mushrooms
- 1 8 oz (240g) can tomato sauce
- 10 black olives
- 1 bay leave
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley , chopped
Rub the chicken pieces with the garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano.
In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and place the chicken pieces. Brown on all sides and remove from the pot.
Add 3 cups water, potatoes, onion, sofrito, mushrooms, tomato sauce, olives, bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
Add the chicken back to the pot, reduce the heat, and cook, covered, for about 35-45 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
Sprinkle some parsley over the top and serve. Enjoy!