Jamaican Rice and Peas
If you enjoy having rice and beans from time to time, you have to try this Jamaican version with coconut milk and spicy peppers!
Servings 6 people
- 1 can (14oz or 400ml) kidney beans, including liquid
- 1 can (14oz or 400ml) coconut milk
- 1 ⅔ cups water (approximately)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 stalks scallion
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 whole green scotch bonnet pepper (can be substituted with habanero)
- 2 cups white rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
Drain beans and pour liquid from the can into a measuring cup. Add the coconut milk and enough water to make 4 cups of liquid.
Add the liquid, beans, whole scallion stalks and thyme to a large pot. Add salt and bring to a boil.
Add rice, whole pepper, turn the heat on high and boil for 2 minutes.
Turn the heat to low and cook covered until all water is absorbed (15-20 min).
Fluff with fork, just be sure not to break the pepper. Remove pepper, scallion stalks and thyme, before serving. Enjoy!