Finnish Salmon Soup - Lohikeitto
Creamy, hearty, and comforting, this Finnish Salmon Soup (Lohikeitto) is perfect for chilly fall or winter days. Ready in 30 minutes + really easy to make!
Servings 4 people
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup or about 50 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 leek, sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 5 cups (1,25l) fish stock (can be substituted with water)
- 1 lb (450g) potatoes, cubed
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 lb (450g) salmon fillet, de-boned, de-skinned and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (10g) fresh dill for garnish, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a pot. Add the sliced leek and saute until translucent, about 7 minutes.
Add the stock, carrot and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat. At this point the potatoes should be almost ready.
Add the salmon chunks and the cream, and cook for about 5-7 minutes more, until it starts to boil.
Turn off the heat and add the dill, salt and pepper. Close the lid and wait for another 10 minutes. Enjoy!