Loco Moco Recipe
White rice topped with a hamburger patty, a fried egg, and all drowned in a delicious gravy. This Hawaiian specialty will immediately win your hearts!
Servings 4 people
For the patties:
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup sweet onion , minced
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil , for frying
For the gravy:
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper , to taste
For the assembly:
- 2 cups cooked white rice , hot or warm
- 4 eggs , cooked sunny side up
The patties. Combine all the ingredients together and make 4 patties. Heat the oil in a skillet an fry the patties until desired doneness. I did like 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
The gravy. Use the same skillet you used for cooking the patties. Scrape up the browned bits of the meat. Melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until you get a light-brown paste. Slowly pour in the broth, whisking continually until the flour is combined with the broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, add the Worcestershire sauce and cook for 5 minutes more. Season to taste.
The assembly. Serve the patties over the cooked rice and top each patty with the fried egg. Pour the gravy over the top and enjoy!