Janssons Frestelse (Jansson's Temptation) - Swedish Potato Casserole
This classic potato casserole, coming from Sweden, is not your ordinary casserole. It features Swedish anchovies (sprats)!
Servings 6 people
- 2 ¼ lb (1 kg) potatoes , peeled, cut into ¼-inch (½-cm) thick strips
- 1 medium yellow onion , sliced
- 9 oz (250g) sprats (Swedish anchovies), or matjes herring
- 1 ¼ cups (300ml) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter , cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs or panko
Preheat an oven to 450 °F (225°C).
Remove the sprats from the tin, reserving the liquid. Mix this liquid with the heavy cream.
Grease a large baking dish. Place a layer of the onions on the bottom. Follow with a layer of the sprats. Finish with a layer of the potatoes. Pour the cream and sprat liquid mixture over the top. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs or panko. Finally, arrange the butter pieces on top.
Bake for 40 minutes. Enjoy!