Soup Joumou - Haitian New Year's Soup
Soup Joumou is a Haitian pumpkin soup containing 11 different veggies! Also featuring beef and pasta, it's comforting, filling, and super delicious!
Servings 4 people
- 1 ½ lb (700g) butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 medium leek (white and pale-green parts only), chopped
- 1 medium turnip , peeled, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ lb carrots , peeled, chopped
- ½ lb potatoes , peeled, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ habanero chile , seeded, minced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 celery ribs , trimmed, chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cabbage
- 4-5 radishes , peeled, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper , chopped
- ½ tablespoon vinegar
- ½ cup pasta (I used penne)
- 1 lb (450g) stewing beef , cubed and cooked
- toasted bread , for serving (optional)
- 1 lime , for serving (optional)
Cut the squash into big pieces and peel them. Put in a large pot of water and cook, covered, for about 25 minutes, or until tender. Transfer the pumpkin pieces to a blender together with 4 cups of the cooking liquid. Puree and set aside.
Empty the pot and heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add the onions and leek and cook for about 5 minutes. Now add the pumpkin puree, turnip, carrots, potatoes, chile, bouillon, celery, cabbage, radish, bell pepper, vinegar, and pasta. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
Cook for about 15 minutes, until the veggies are tender. At the last 5 minutes, add the cooked beef. Serve with toasted bread on the side with some lime squeezed into every bowl. Enjoy!
Adapted from "Fine Haitian Cuisine" by Mona Cassion Ménager
- Traditionally, a Calabaza squash ( a winter squash resembling a pumpkin) is used for this recipe but butternut squash works really great.
- Traditionally, vermicelli is the pasta you should use for this recipe but I added penne because that's what I had on hand. I don't think that's a problem.
Calories: 443kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 31.2g | Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 71.4mg | Sodium: 180.3mg | Sugar: 11.7g | Vitamin A: 6650IU | Vitamin C: 129.5mg