Pisto Manchego - Spanish Vegetable Stew
This Spanish veggie stew makes a perfect side dish to grilled meats or is great as a standalone meal topped with some fried eggs!
Servings 6 people
- ⅔ cup olive oil , divided
- 2 large onions , coarsely chopped
- 3 red bell peppers , cored, seeded, cut into small cubes
- 3 zucchini , cut into small cubes
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 6 medium tomatoes , peeled, diced
- 1 ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 large eggplant , cut into small cubes
In a large skillet, heat ⅓ cup oil and add the onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until they begin to soften.
Add the bell peppers and cook until they begin to soften. Add the zucchini and season. Cook until they soften. Add the tomatoes and the sugar. Cook until all the liquid evaporates.
While the veggies are cooking, heat the remaining ⅓ cup oil in another skillet and add the eggplant. Cook, stirring and turning, until it's soft. Transfer to a plate and drain on paper towels.
Add the cooked eggplant to the vegetables and cook for a few minutes more. Serve with grilled fish or meat or with fried eggs and toasted bread. Enjoy!
Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 23.9g | Protein: 4.5g | Fat: 25g | Sodium: 21.1mg | Sugar: 15.4g | Vitamin A: 850IU | Vitamin C: 160.1mg