If you’ve been on the hunt for an easy breakfast or brunch recipe that works for the entire family, you’ve got to give this cheesy egg roll a shot! Crafted with just a few simple ingredients, it literally takes minutes of your kitchen time, and ends up looking so gorgeous and elegant.
Plus, you can give it your twist too! Scroll down to keep reading and get a quick glimpse into everything you need to keep in mind before you give the recipe a try.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need just a few simple ingredients to make the cheesy egg roll from scratch.
- Eggs: 5
- Water: 2 tbsp
- Onions (finely chopped): 2-3 tbsp
- Coriander (finely chopped): 2 tbsp
- Carrots (finely chopped): 2 tbsp
- Black pepper powder: ½ tbsp
- Salt: ¼ tsp or as per taste
- Cheese (grated): as required
- Oil: For greasing pan
Kitchen Tools Needed
How to Make the Cheesy Egg Roll
Once you have the ingredients and tools ready, here’s the step-by-step process you’ll need to follow to make the egg roll from scratch.
In a bowl, add the eggs, water, onions, carrots, coriander, black pepper powder, and salt. Beat until the ingredients mix.
Next, grease the pan with oil and pour enough egg mixture to cover the pan. Top it with grated cheese.
Let the egg mixture cook for about 80% and then roll the same. Do not roll until the edge.
Add the next batch of the egg mixture and grated cheese and repeat the above step. Keep doing it until the egg mixture is over.
Once your roll is cooked, slice smaller sections (¾ inch thick slices) and serve hot!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of Cheese Should I Use For the Recipe?
You could use practically any kind of cheese you like- cheddar, mozzarella, and Monterey jack are some good choices. Avoid any soft cheeses like cream cheese or blue cheese, since they won’t give you the same textural result from the egg rolls that you are hoping for.
What Else Can I Add?
One of the best parts about making the cheesy egg roll is the fact that you can actually add in a lot more ingredients than just sticking to what is on the list. Here are a few good ideas to get you going.
- Chopped sausage
- Bell peppers
- Spring onions
Can I Make the Recipe in the Oven?
You definitely can! While using a cast iron pan or any nonstick cooking pan is great, you can also just pour the mixture into a greased baking tray and pop it in the oven, if that’s what you prefer.
Remember to grease the tray well- preferably using cooking spray to help keep the egg from sticking to the surface.
What Other Variations Can I Try?
While this cheesy egg roll recipe is specifically meant to be simple and minimal, you can actually take just a little extra step to make it fancier. Just season the eggs and cook them until they are 50% done. Then, throw on the toppings of your choice and the cheese, and let it all cook completely. This will help create two distinct layers that will make your egg rolls look super attractive too.
Tips to Make the Cheesy Egg Roll
Think you’re ready to give the recipe a try? You might want to keep these additional tips in mind to make sure you nail the recipe.
- The water that is added to the egg mixture is thought to help fluff up the omelet and get it to a light and airy consistency. To make the eggs softer and creamier, you can skip the water and add milk instead.
- If you are baking the omelet in the oven, make sure you preheat the oven before you pop the mixture in, and allow it to cook to perfection without any runny spots.
- Get creative with the seasoning for some extra flavor- you can of course, always stick to the salt and black pepper that the ingredients call for, but if you’re looking to take your taste buds for a ride, you can throw in some dried oregano or red pepper flakes or even a pinch of smoked paprika for some extra flavor.
- Want to bring a bit of zesty flavor into the cheesy egg rolls? Throw a teaspoon of mustard into the mixture and give it a good mix.
- Always remember to have your eggs at room temperature before you use them for this recipe. It helps your egg mixture get to the airy, fluffy consistency you need it to be.
- You can also batch make this egg roll mixture, pour it over a tortilla that is in a pan, and cook the entire thing from both sides before you roll the tortilla. This can actually be an excellent complete meal that you can grab on the go too!
- If you have any leftover cheesy egg rolls, you can transfer them to an airtight container and refrigerate them for up to 4 days. Remember to reheat them in the microwave to keep them moist.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
This cheesy egg roll is super versatile too! While it tastes absolutely divine on its own, you can definitely go the extra mile and get creative with the toppings and how you serve them.
If your rolls have turned out perfect, you can skewer them in a skewer stick or poke a toothpick halfway between each of them to make them more interesting. This works great with kids in particular.
You can also just assemble all the egg rolls on a platter or a serving plate, top it with a dollop of sour cream or cream cheese, and a little sprinkle of chopped green onions or chives for some extra freshness.
Loved how easy it was to whip up this delicious breakfast/snack recipe? On the hunt for some more such interesting recipes to try out? Here are a few good ones you wouldn’t want to miss.
- Indian Vegetable Upma Cream of Wheat Breakfast Recipe
- Crispy Thai Omelet Recipe
- Shakshuka - The Best Breakfast Egg Dish Ever
Cheesy Egg Roll- Easy Breakfast Idea
- 5 pcs Eggs
- 2 tbsp Water
- 2-3 tbsp Onions (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Coriander (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Carrots (finely chopped)
- ½ tbsp Black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Cheese (grated)
- 1 tsp Oil (For greasing pan)
- In a bowl, add the eggs, water, onions, carrots, coriander, black pepper powder, and salt. Beat until the ingredients mix.5 pcs Eggs, 2 tbsp Water, 2-3 tbsp Onions, 2 tbsp Coriander, 2 tbsp Carrots, ½ tbsp Black pepper powder, ¼ tsp Salt
- Next, grease the pan with oil and pour enough egg mixture to cover the pan. Top it with grated cheese.1 tbsp Cheese, 1 tsp Oil
- Let the egg mixture cook for about 80% and then roll the same. Do not roll until the edge.
- Add the next batch of the egg mixture and grated cheese and repeat the above step. Keep doing it until the egg mixture is over.
- Once your roll is cooked, slice smaller sections (¾ inch thick slices) and serve hot!