Filipino Macaroni Salad is the exotic version of the well-known macaroni salad. This Asian creation includes condensed milk, raisins, pineapple, cheese, and more!
If you are a die-hard Pinterest fan, just like me, you have probably seen loads of macaroni salad recipes there. The explanation of such a trend is pretty simple – this salad is crazy popular in the States.
For those of you who have heard about macaroni salad for the first time in your life – it’s a type of salad made with elbow macaroni (you can easily use any other type of short cut pasta), mayo, and other ingredients of your choice. Those ingredients usually are savory: chicken, carrots, chives, pickles, olives, and other. Today, though, I want to show you a Filipino version of this delicious, comforting dish, which includes pineapple, raisins, and condensed milk!
Phew, I still can’t get enough of the last Filipino recipe, which was a fantastic stew called Beef Caldereta, and here we are again making food from this beautiful country. I am so ready!
It perhaps doesn’t come as a surprise that Americans were the ones who brought this salad to the Philippines during the occupation in the beginning of the 20th century. Filipinos must have loved it, but still decided to change some things. You know, to suit their palates. That’s how the Filipino Macaroni Salad was born. The main difference from the American version is a mildly sweet flavor.
This salad is served during various special occasions: Christmas, birthdays, and other holidays. You can have it as an appetizer or a side dish to various stews or grilled meats. Don’t worry about the sweetness – you will barely feel it.
This Filipino Macaroni Salad recipe makes 8-10 servings, but we made it for 2 people: me and my wife, ha! Wasn’t a problem at all – we managed to polish it off in a few days. It’s just that GOOD. One spoonful of this Asian creation and you are hooked. Try it at your own risk – the addiction is inevitable!
Filipino Macaroni Salad
- 1 lb (450g) elbow macaroni , cooked according to package instructions
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese , cubed
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1 large carrot , grated
- 1 lb (450g) boneless skinless chicken breasts , boiled, cubed
- 1 14 oz or 400g can crushed pineapple
- 3 hard boiled eggs , chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Place the pasta in a very large bowl and mix with mayo.
- Add the condensed milk, cheddar cheese, onion, and carrot. Mix well.
- Add the chicken, pineapple with all the juice, eggs, raisins, salt, and pepper.
- Let sit for at least 1 hour in a fridge and serve chilled. Enjoy!