Wondering how to put those boring cuts of chicken breasts to use? This easy chicken breast with creamy mushroom sauce recipe is just the perfect way to turn them into an insanely delicious meal that you can enjoy as is, or team up with some pan-roasted veggies on the side.
Plus, you can also make it in advance and store it for later- perfect if you’re into meal prepping or just want to make an effort to have more home-cooked, healthy meals.
Scroll down and read on to discover everything you need to know about making the recipe from scratch.
Ingredients For the Recipe
You’ll need two sets of ingredients to make the chicken breast with creamy mushroom sauce
For the Chicken Breast
- Chicken breast: 1
- Salt: ½ tsp
- Black pepper (crushed): 1 tsp
- Garlic paste: 1 tbsp
- Oil: For sauteing
For the Sauce
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- Garlic (minced): 1 tsp
- Onions (finely chopped): ⅛ cup
- Mushrooms (chopped): 1 cup
- Cream: ¼ cup
- Cheese (grated): ¼ cup
- Milk: ⅛ cup
- Salt: ½ tsp or as per taste
- Black pepper (crushed): 1 tsp
- Mixed herbs: 1 tbsp
- Red chili flakes: 1 tsp
- Parsley (chopped): For garnish
Kitchen Tools Needed
How to Make the Chicken Breast With Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Once you have all your ingredients and kitchen tools ready, here’s what you need to do to put the recipe together.
Marinate the chicken breast with salt, black pepper, and garlic paste. Let it rest for 10 mins.
Heat a little bit of oil in a non-stick pan and place the chicken breast on it. Cook both sides for 2-3 minutes each or until done. Keep aside.
Next, in the same pan add butter.
Once the butter melts, add the garlic and saute.
Add the onions next and saute.
Once the onions are translucent, add the mushrooms and saute. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add the salt and pepper.
Next, add the cream, cheese, and milk. Mix well. If the sauce turns too thick, you can add more milk as well.
Add red chili flakes and mixed herbs next. Mix well.
Place the cooked chicken breast on the sauce and coat it well with the sauce.
Garnish with parsley.
Serve hot with a side of veggies and mashed potatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
You could use practically any kind of small, sliceable mushrooms for this recipe. Shiitake, button mushrooms, and cremini are some obvious choices that you can never go wrong with- you can just stick to those if you’re trying your hand at a mushroom sauce recipe for the first time.
While this recipe calls for the use of chicken breasts, you don’t necessarily need to stick to just those. You could use practically any other cut of chicken of your choice- just remember to opt for a boneless cut of chicken.
Boneless chicken thighs are an excellent alternative, since they have the most tender meat, and are more flavorful than virtually any other cut of chicken.
While you can always stick to the simple and effortless chicken breast with creamy mushroom sauce recipe, there is a lot of potential for you to throw in some more ingredients and add-ons to make the dish more nutritive and healthy.
Think chopped veggies like zucchini, asparagus, bell peppers, carrots, baby corn, broccoli, and sweet potatoes- they all work wonderfully with the other ingredients that make up this recipe.
And of course, you can also throw in some chopped greens like kale and spinach into the sauce to make it healthier.
Yes, you definitely can. The mushroom sauce can be prepared in advance and refrigerated for upto 3 days. You can also marinate chicken breasts a day or two before if you want to. Then, when you want to put the dish together, all you need to do is sear the chicken, and dunk it into the sauce, and you’re all done.
Your leftover chicken breast with creamy mushroom sauce can be refrigerated for upto 2 days. While freezing the leftovers is also an option, it is not recommended, since the process of freezing and thawing can ruin the texture of the chicken and the mushrooms in the sauce.
Tips to Make the Chicken Breast With Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Think you’re ready to give this incredibly easy recipe a try? You might want to keep these additional tips and hacks in mind to really nail the flavors and textures in the first shot.
- Did your mushroom sauce end up getting thicker than you’d like it to be? You can loosen it up by adding some full-fat milk and letting it simmer for a few minutes.
- Want your mushroom sauce to have a rich, creamy, and slightly thicker texture? You can add a bit of cornflour slurry into it and let it simmer for a few minutes, or add some full fat cream into the mix.
- To add an extra punch of flavor and nutrition to the sauce, use broth instead of milk to loosen it up.
- To help the chicken get that nice, crispy outer and to get it to have that gorgeous coating of the mushroom sauce, sprinkle some flour on each side of the cut of chicken before you sear it in the pan.
- Got some extra chicken breast with creamy mushroom sauce that you want to put to use? You can shred the chicken and toss some pasta or noodles into the sauce until everything is combined well, and enjoy it as a quick weeknight dinner.
- You can also make the mushroom sauce in a larger batch and store some of it for later. The sauce can then be paired with some meatballs, a simple pasta, grilled veggies, or any roast meats.
- To lend an extra touch of freshness to the recipe, don’t forget to top it off with a generous sprinkle of chopped herbs of your choice- coriander, spring onions, and parsley are excellent choices.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
The chicken breast with creamy mushroom sauce is a complete meal in itself, but if you really want to go the extra mile, you can team it up with some stir-fried veggies on the side- bell peppers, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, kale, and zucchini are some good, no-fail options you can consider.
This chicken dish can also work wonderfully with some classic buttery mashed potatoes. But if any of these don’t seem to work with you, you can always pair the dish with a salad on the side- you can opt for a simple Russian potato salad or a Japanese cucumber salad, or even opt for a tangy Thai green papaya salad.
And of course, don’t forget some dinner rolls or any other bread of your choice to mop up all that delicious sauce after you’re done!
Chicken Breast With Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe
Ingredients for the Chicken Breast
- 1 pc Chicken breast
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper (crushed)
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Oil (For Sauting)
Ingredients for the sauce
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Garlic (minced)
- ⅛ cup Onions (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Mushrooms (chopped)
- ¼ cup Cream
- ¼ cup Cheese (grated)
- ⅛ cup Milk
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper (crushed)
- 1 tbsp Mixed herbs
- 1 tsp Red chili flakes
- 1 tsp Parsley (chopped) for garnishing
- Marinate the chicken breast withsalt, black pepper, and garlic paste. Let it rest for 10 mins.1 pc Chicken breast, ½ tsp Salt, 1 tsp Black pepper, 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- Heat a little bit of oil to a non-stick pan and place the chicken breast on it. Cook both sides for 2-3minutes each or until done. Keep aside.1 tsp Oil
- Next, in the same pan add butter.1 tbsp Butter
- Once the butter melts, add thegarlic and saute.1 tsp Garlic
- Add the onions next and saute.⅛ cup Onions
- Once the onions are translucent, add the mushrooms and saute. Cook for 3-4 minutes.1 cup Mushrooms
- Add the salt and pepper.½ tsp Salt, 1 tsp Black pepper
- Next, add the cream, cheese and milk. Mix well. If the sauce turns too thick, you can add more milk as well.¼ cup Cream, ¼ cup Cheese, ⅛ cup Milk
- Add red chili flakes and mixed herbs next. Mix well.1 tbsp Mixed herbs, 1 tsp Red chili flakes
- Place the cooked chicken breast on the sauce and coat it well with the sauce.
- Garnish with parsley.1 tsp Parsley
- Serve hot with a side of veggies and mashed potatoes.